Frankly, I can't think of any equipment that out performed my expectation and were cheap! I certainly was impressed by a bunch of equipment but none of them were cheap! In the other hand I had some expensice stuff that didn't last!
But here is the list of the equipment that I had been using for ever
- Schwalbe Marathon XR (22,000km is my record with an XR)
- Brooks B17
- Ortlieb back-roller
- Sun Rhyno Lite rim
- Teva sandals
- Chariot trailer
- Sapim Strong spokes (just like Stephane, never broke a spoke with those)
- Cateyes computer (I have a 12 year-old model and it still works beautifully, the magnet is all corroded and rusted but it doesn't matter still works with precision)
Expensive and NOT for touring (learn it the hard way):
- Shimano derailleur XTR (I found a great deal, so i figure hey let's get the best! Bad idea! believe me XTR is for road bikers. stick to LX and XT)
- Continental touring tires (not nearly as good as Schwalbe), with them I got much more puncture and the tire cracked much quicker where the rim is in contact with the tire.
What about you LHT, you didn't give tell us anything? You have enough miles behind you, don't you?