cyclocampingforum.com
October 24, 2017, 04:11:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandals for bicycle touring?  (Read 1867 times)
fenlabiz
Traveler

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2010, 09:36:36 AM »
ReplyReply

I would never thought about it, but I heard that quiet a lot of bicycle tourists travel with sandals and even bike with them. Apparently Shimano even do SPD sandals, I was hoping someone can give me some can give me some feedbacks and maybe suggests a few brands and/or models (SPD or not). Thx
On Two Wheels
Adventurer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 12:17:22 PM »
ReplyReply

I don't have sandles for cycling in, but I do have a pair of 'Crocs'. They are ultra lightweight, very comfortable, very airy, and can be used for going anywhere (except mountain climbing.)  I initially only wore them for showering in or river swimming (not wanting to possibly cut the soles of my feet - not knowing what was under the water on the river banks.)  But I got lazy and started wearing them for cycling in too. Though, I only wear them for cycling when there are long stretches of open seldom used roads.

Consider 'Crocs', I recommend them.

You may say that I'm a dreamer, But I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us, And we can cycle the world as one.

Imagine no possessions, I wonder if you can.
No need for greed or hunger, A brotherhood of man.
Imagine all the people, Sharing all the world...
petervanglabbeek
Explorer

Cycle touring is a lifestyle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 01:55:49 AM »
ReplyReply

I only know about Shimano sandles with SPD. I haven't heard of other brands.
Some people are making long tours with them, I have no experience myself.
Other sandles might be confortable for cycling as well.
I have Timberland, my girlfriend Teva. Both have a good strong sole.
Of course you lose some efficiency (about 10%), but who cares on a long tour?

I have pedals with one side SPD and one side normal.
I take sandles for warm and dry weather and SPD shoes for cold or wet conditions or very difficult mountain stages.

Peter

Peter van Glabbeek
jcostanz
Scout

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 10:29:42 AM »
ReplyReply

I tried the Shimano sandals and found them way too narrow.  I used Lake's sandals for years, way too long to get them wide enough for my feet.
Now I ride only in Keen's Sandals the ones that are SPD.  they are very comfortable for on the bike and good for walking around off the bike.  They do leave strange tan/sunburn lines on ones feet tho:) 
woollypigs
Traveler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 10:13:59 AM »
ReplyReply

I got the Lake I/O SDL and I would love to try out the Keen Commuter, one reason for liking them both is that they cover my toes. So therefore warmer for more of the year cycling. I managed to cycle through the winter with mine with socks and overshoes.

The Lake's lasted a year and nearly 6000 miles and a lot of walking. I do around cycle 25miles and walk 4-5 miles on average a day in them and wear them for around 8 hours a day. So I think they have done very well as a shoe and for what and how I used them. What I really like with the Lake's is that the cleat is reset so much that I haven't worn the cleats down yet, where my Shimano shoe I wore the cleats down in half a year. The minus part of the Lake's is that they don't breath well so even with them being sandals they make my feet sweat a lot.

Daniel Jones
Couch Potato

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 01:57:02 AM »
ReplyReply

I love my Shimano sandals, especially in the summer. I ride in Florida. Never had an issue.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:02:00 PM by Stephane » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: