cyclocampingforum.com
February 23, 2018, 04:57:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best foldable Schwalbe tire for bicycle touring?  (Read 3322 times)
diegotailwind
Traveler

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2010, 05:30:35 PM »
ReplyReply

I really like the folding marathon XR. I used Schwalbe and other brands before and I promised myself I will only use Schwalbe tires. But my XR are getting very old (5 years or so) so I'd like to get a new pair. I will be riding mostly on paved road, and I need a strong tire with good puncture resistance. Should i get the XR again or is there anything new and better? Cost is not really an issue because if they last over 15,000 km like my old one (and i can still use them!) I am willing to spend 40-60 bucks.
Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 05:37:09 PM by diegotailwind » Logged
biciclown
Traveler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 07:45:06 AM »
ReplyReply

I think they do not do anymore Marathon XR, so If you can find them, go for them. Really are the best. After many kms with Marathon, I am about to forget how to repair a puncture
Thailand, 71033 kms
www.biciclown.com

Thailand    (56 countries)71,934 kms and 5 years No stop
www.biciclown.com/ing/index.html
www.biciclowneldocumental.com
Stephane
Administrator
Explorer

cyclocamping cyclocamping
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:00:57 AM »
ReplyReply

Diego,

Here is a post I posted somewhere else recently:

A couple months ago, I would have recommended the Marathon XR, but Schwalbe discontinued it. So you might find a few stores that still carry it, but I guess it won't be for very long.

However, the models replacing it seem even better (new technology, design, etc.).

According to what you're saying, I would suggest:

One of the Schwalbe Plus Series: If you really want the toughest and most puncture-proof tires, then I suggest the Marathon Plus or the Marathon Plus Tour. They offer the best puncture protection of all the Schwalbe tires. The Plus Tour is better for off-road than the Plus.

or,

One of the Evotion series: These still have good puncture protection and will also last a long time.  Although not as good and not as durable as the Plus series, the tire is much lighter and also faster. The Supreme is the fastest, but least durable, in this series. So you might prefer the Dureme or the Extreme (these are technically the replacement for the Marathon XR). Out of these 2, the Extreme is better off-road (and 65 grams heavier).

You certainly can use a different tire on the back. A good idea could be to use a more durable Plus model on the back and an Evolution tire on the front. Also, note that the Evolution series, having the "best" touring tires from Schwalbe, also have the most expensive touring tires.

I haven't updated this page for the new 2010 models (I'll do it in the next week or so), but you can easily see the different specs and easily compare all the Schwalbe tires on this page:
Schwalbe Tires for touring

Note: All of these tires are now folding tires.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 06:20:42 PM by Stephane » Logged

Ablejack
Wanderer

Buffalo Lazy Randonneur Club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 11:45:26 AM »
ReplyReply

Although Schwalbes are not very supple, they can't be beat for touring (flat resistant) convenience.  I recommend the fattest, smoothest road tread that will fit your frame.  It's a myth (according to the first finisher of the few most recent PBP* brevets ) that high pressure tires will have less rolling resistance.  Heine claims that they just feel faster because they are uncomfortable and actually sap your energy.  For further reading see Bicycle Quarterly on the subject.
Marathon Supreme are nice and have not yet been mentioned.  I use 40mm with fenders. (not Supremes since they don't make them in 650b  Undecided ) These have taken me fully loaded on about thousand miles of unpaved crushed rock and singletrack paths as well as nice roads.  I don't carry, by the way, an extra tire (if that's why you want a kevlar bead). I do carry a couple extra tubes but have never used one.  If I ever destroy a tire so that it is unusable I would just hole up somewhere and have one sent to me at a local post office. 
*Although to be fair, Jan Heine does not like the ride of Schwalbes compared to the more supple (and flat prone)  Gran Bois tires.
surfer
Couch Potato

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 06:25:48 AM »
ReplyReply

hey everyone. nice to be here.

i used marathon xr's on a europe to asia trip and loved them. but....... on my next trip i wanted something faster, less tread but still as near indestructable as the xr's. i used the marathon supreme, 35mm,  front and rear on a 6 month china trip which included west and east tibet. even on dirt roads these tyres were good and on the paved road.........fast and smooth. zero flats in 6 months and i'm still using them. i would recomend the supreme tyre for sure. also,they are lighter than the xr's.

bye.
Stephane
Administrator
Explorer

cyclocamping cyclocamping
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 08:01:39 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Surfer,

Thank you for joining.

We were considering carrying the Schwalbe Supreme on CycloCamping.com and because of several positive reviews like yours, they will now be added to our list of bicycle touring tires.

Thank you again.

Stephane

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: