cyclocampingforum.com
July 27, 2017, 11:43:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pegasus Airlines Bicycle Policy  (Read 1576 times)
Thomas Willington
Tourist

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2011, 02:34:10 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi there,

Will be flying London Stanstead to Beirut in a week (the 7th Feb) with a stopover in Istanbul, all on Pegasus airlines, a Turkish budget company. I've had a look at their website of course, so no need to do at any research there. Also called customer service, but the man was that helpful saying 'oh yes yes just bring the bike to the airport, no need to book, no box needed'... Somehow I feel this will probably land me with some serious extra fees, so I am trying to figure out what their bicycle box weight & dimensions are etc.

This is probably a bit of a shot in the dark as this is an airline I have never heard of before, but anyone with experience with them please feel free to let me know, or with possibly relevant info. Cheers, Tom
fenlabiz
Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 09:20:20 AM »
ReplyReply

I flew w/ them in 2010 & I did what I always do when I fly w/ my bike. I just roll my bike into the airpor. Then I turn the handlebar, partially deflate the tires, and protect chain and rings with plastic bags, and just hand it that way for the check-n. Pegasus charged me 40 euros just as they say in their policy http://www.flypgs.com/en/information/general-rules.aspx under baggage>special baggage. I always print out their policy in case they want to charge me more in which case i show the print out.
I was first told that I will need to box it but I told them that I called ahead of time and been told that I didn't have (even though it was not true), she called the manager and they took my bike just like it was. Of course with airlines it always depend on the manager, it's a hit or miss but when airline require you to box the bike they do have the box to sell right on the spot (usually 10-15$).
good luck and please let us know how it went!
Thomas Willington
Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 01:47:10 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks hugly helpful, thanks! I would like to avoid buying an extra luggage space (ie just my carry on and all other gear on the bike) if possible, so it may be in my advantage to box it myself before hand and bring that in. In that case, there's no problem with other stuff being in the box? For example, one side bag stuffed in there, small tent, sleeping roll? I suppose they won't check it, and there's lots of extra space in a bicycle box for it, but just thought I'd ask. Thanks!
fenlabiz
Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 06:09:56 PM »
ReplyReply

You're absolutely correct, if your box is within their dimension and weight limit, it can have anything in it including a bike, and it will be counted as a check-in luggage. And yes, you can stuff anything you want in the box with your bike. Again, just make sure that your box is within their weight limit (you can check that on the link I gave you in my previous post).
AudreyKoch
Couch Potato

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 05:17:58 AM »
ReplyReply

Sounds good, I will definitely check it out at some point.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: