cyclocampingforum.com
November 21, 2017, 04:55:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Stove Options - Other Eating Options  (Read 1110 times)
Thomas Willington
Tourist

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2011, 08:26:50 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

Will be in the middle east region starting soon for possible upwards of 3 months depending on how things go. I've recently done a big motorcycle tour of Europe and found my small cooking pot and stove to be valuable companions, but for this trip I was thinking of leaving them behind. Well actually, they are in Switzerland and I'd rather not buy new ones, but seriously, I'm always packing as light as possible, especially on this trip, and I am wondering what other options there are.

I'm not particularly picky when it comes to food, so although it can be nice to have hot meals, I am willing to for go the ability to make my own in favour of less weight and space, not having to figure out where to get little fuel canisters, and generally being easy. Of course the occasional meal can be bought at any one of a number of places on the road, and I've also read many instances of being invited for meals, but in the most general sense, lets discuss uncooked meals on the road.

I'm thinking most things having a bass in bread, and eating lots of raw veggies, power foods like nuts and fruits, and pretty much getting my meat when I'm in a position to buy it from a stand/restaurant.

Any other thoughts on this? Am I being stupid and it is in fact too valuable something to leave behind? I don't really drink hot drinks in the morning or can easily forgo this... Thanks for your thoughts, Tom
tony
Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 08:23:56 PM »
ReplyReply

Have you considered one of these liquid fuel stove? I mean if weight and money is the issue the Vargo Triad weight 1oz and cost 30 bucks! Of course you still have to carry around fuel but since gasoline is readily available you can just carry enough for a couple meals. It works with fuel tabs too.

But if you really don't want to carry any stove, you'll have to buy food as you go. In the middle-east, without a stove, this is the food you'll probably eat or see a lot: of course you'll drink liters of tea (offered every time you stop), pita (flat bread), melon, peaches, dates, pistachios, cookies. In restaurant: kebab, shwarma, falafel, (you can buy the balls and carry them with you they stay good for a day or two), eggplant.

You might want to consider a thermal bag to carry your food safely. There is some travel one out there that are very light. That would allow you to carry stuff like milk, yogurt, borek (pastry with cheese or meat filling that ou find in Turkey) etc through out the day. Middle east is all about meat so I think you didn't pick the best destination to go for veggies but I don't think it's a stupid idea. I know a lot of people who traveled without a stove (usually on shorter trip though) and there is usually enough food available.

Bread will be your best friend, dates are excellent over there, and as you said you'll be invited all the time and most likely you'll be leaving your host with some food they gave you.

When you're abe to, you can cook some pasta or rice and carry them with you. They won't go bad for a while even if they are not refrigerated. Then just add mayo (mayo can also be carried under the sun for days - scarry but true!), a can of tuna or a can of chicken, tomatoes, veggies and whatever and you got a good meal. Canned sardines are handy too. Any canned food as a matter of fact. I've eaten cold beans or cold ravioli... when you're hungry everything taste good!
petervanglabbeek
Explorer

Cycle touring is a lifestyle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 01:52:40 PM »
ReplyReply

I think we can digest almost everything raw. There are a few exceptions. Cereals, potatoes, some vegies (eggplant?), some meat and (shell-) fish.

A good idea is to carry a lighter. If you find any wood or other fuel for a fire, you can cook in a tin on it and you will have warm food without carrying pots and stove. I prefer my baked beans warm.

I would carry a pot. It weighs much less than tins with beans, tuna, etc. The problem with carrying tinned food around (apart from the obvious pollution issue) is that you carry to much liquids with you. If you like traveling light, carry a light pot and dried food like pasta or rice. Cook on a fire.

Peter

Peter van Glabbeek
zack0109
Couch Potato

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:39:07 AM »
ReplyReply

OH yeah    a stove is a must     

iceman is coool,but not everyone wanna be.
RobertWalker
Couch Potato

I am a frank person.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 12:39:49 AM »
ReplyReply

Yeah, the stove is an essential thing. And if you are in a middle east region then there is a lack of food and it is difficult to manage a food for cooking. And hence whenever you go in that region must bring stove with you.

How to Buy kitchen cabinets online? Get short tips here.
astrosmash
Scout

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 06:56:16 AM »
ReplyReply

I tend to agree with forfeiting the stove. As a cyclist, you aretraveling on paved roads, and paved roads lead to hot food eventually. I've hiked a good stretch of the appalachian trail, and a stove is essential on the deeper trails. Another thing though for me is that I love to cook, and any trail cooking is going to be a half-arsed affair, so my take is, why bother. nutrition is what needs to be maintained. Just bring nutritious food that doesn't need cooking.
rk1licu
Scout

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 04:43:55 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

I know this is kinda late, but have you considered MRE food? I use these when camping at home or around the country. They are easy to pack and easy to heat up. Also, you have at least 5-6 different food choices. The company I purchase my MRE from is Mountain House. I think you just type in Mountain House foods.

Hope this helps you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: