cyclocampingforum.com
July 26, 2017, 05:48:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proving Exit before Entry - Lebanon - One Way Ticket  (Read 1783 times)
Thomas Willington
Tourist

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2011, 07:49:46 AM »
ReplyReply

Hello everyone,

New member here, Tom from Canada, 20 years old and have been on the road through europe in one way or another for the last 7 months. Will be flying into Lebanon in a month to do some sort of bicycle tour of the region. (Hopefully into Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, then exit through Israel, but just a rough idea).

I read something about being held back at the airport flying out of england because the guy had a one way ticket into Lebanon and would not be granted the tourist visa on arrivial because he couldn't prove his exit of Lebanon.

I am a little worried about this as I will be flying on a one way ticket, and then ultimatly exiting the region by another means, possibly biking all the way back to Europe, but it is not planned at this point and still open.

I've done some looking around but haven't come up with anything yet. What countries in the middle east require proof of exit before they let you in? Is there any other way to prove exit? So far from my research I believe all my visa's can be bought at the border. Syria requires that I have one before, but I have not been in Canada for some time and am not able to apply for that visa, and I have read that it can be bought at the border despite what the website says.

Thanks for any info. Best, Tom
tony
Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 10:42:19 AM »
ReplyReply

Tom, Welcome here! I entered Syria and Jordan a few years ago by bike. Although I didn't fly in, I was never asked any proof for getting out of the country and I never heard of any western cyclist who did. It is definitely possible that the custom gives hard time to people if they fly in without a return ticket but since you are Canadian and you're flying with a bicycle I really doubt you will have any problems. If you were from Syria it would be a different story! Lebanon, Syria, and Jordan see quite a lot of cycle-tourers so I really think you will be fine by just explaining them that you will be biking out of the country (which would be obvious with your bike with you). Of course do not mention Israel in Syria. If you have a bit of extra cash, the safest way is to buy a full-price plane ticket fully refundable (directly from the airline) and get reimbursed once you are there - but personally I would not bother doing it. I am sure you will get some more responses on this forum as there are a some middle-east experts here! Good luck and please let us know how it went, this kind of experience is very useful on forums! You'll love it man, middle-east is FANTASTIC!!!
Thomas Willington
Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 11:43:49 AM »
ReplyReply

Sweet. Yes I had done research already and not come across anything like that but the question was only raised in my mind after I read a direct experience. One problem may be that I buy the bicycle there instead of taking it on the place, I still haven't fully figured that one out yet. But this may be better insentive to buy one ahead of time and take her on. The report I read was of a guy flying from London to Beruit, the excat route as me, and with the bicycle. Nonetheless I think it should work its self out also...
petervanglabbeek
Explorer

Cycle touring is a lifestyle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:13:47 AM »
ReplyReply

I cannot tell you anything about Lebanon specifically. But generally a bus ticket out of the country would be enough proof that you will leave, if such a proof is required I don't know. On the other hand, on airplanes, return tickets are for some mysterious reason very often cheaper than one way tickets. So, even if you don't use your return flight, you might end up buying one, and have no problems to enter the country. I also heard that you can buy the Syrian visa at the border in special occasions, like for example when your country doesn't have a Syrian embassy.

Peter

Peter van Glabbeek
biciclown
Traveler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 03:16:27 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Tom Welcome
I have been cycling in that area as part of my world tour (2004-2014)
Lebannon, at least in 2008, where friendly, but thinghs change.
Check it out with the air company.
Lebannon is great for cycling, hilly, but beatifull. I strongly recommend it.
Syria has the most hospitality people of Middle East.
Jordan is expensive, but Petra worths the price and Wadi Rum too.
Israel.., go inside from Aman, the border near Dead Sea. They do not stamp your passport and you can go inside Syria again.
In my web you can read about it.
www.biciclown.com

Thailand    (56 countries)71,934 kms and 5 years No stop
www.biciclown.com/ing/index.html
www.biciclowneldocumental.com
Thomas Willington
Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 11:53:04 AM »
ReplyReply

Ok, thanks everyone for the info. I've checked out the definitive Lebanon website but it is again not that clear. I will try to simply prove it if they give me any hard time. Unfortunatly a return is twice as much, and I can't find bus tickets online, but worse case I should be able to pick one up at the airport. If I have the bicycle with me it should be clear, and also I will take some kind of printed itineary which may or may not do anything.

Thanks all for the info, see you around as the trip progresses.
Thomas Willington
Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 02:42:39 AM »
ReplyReply

Have now checked with the Lebanese embassy in London (& Syrian), who both confirm that I don't need the exit ticket for the visa, that it's easy to get, etc. This is coming from a slightly different perspective, and of course things things do always change, but I think it's pretty solid now. If anything it is an airline company that wants to 'protect you' and of course have you buy an extra ticket, so perhaps it will be the airline who tries to get you to buy the extra ticket... If so, good luck to them. Thanks again, tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: