cyclocampingforum.com
October 24, 2017, 04:10:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Make Money On The Move ...  (Read 1481 times)
On Two Wheels
Adventurer

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2010, 11:45:11 PM »
ReplyReply

... I'm continually changing my route and plans, this invaribly incurs additional costs. I'm not spending more money, just adding locastions/countries to my list. Obviously, this does eat into finaces, and I'm totally self financing at the moment, but for me to continue with my journey I must find a way of replenishing my money stocks.

Is there anyone that can suggest how I can do this please. Legally of course  Cheesy

Thanks you guys, oh, n gals.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 08:18:40 AM by Stephane » Logged

You may say that I'm a dreamer, But I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us, And we can cycle the world as one.

Imagine no possessions, I wonder if you can.
No need for greed or hunger, A brotherhood of man.
Imagine all the people, Sharing all the world...
petervanglabbeek
Explorer

Cycle touring is a lifestyle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 06:42:21 AM »
ReplyReply

-It seems a very obvious suggestion, but working would help.
-Teaching English in countries like Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, China, makes good money sometimes.
-You can also find work that you can do online. A friend of mine is doing so Microsoft Excel programming for companies while on the road.
-If you build a very successful travel website with lots of Google adds you can make money.
-Heinz Stuecke traveled about 40 years and sold postcards and a leaflet about himself to support himself. Just print some of your best pictures in postcard format and sell them in busy streets in the bigger cities.
-Find a very wealthy sponsor who really loves what you are doing.
-Try to spend less

Peter

Peter van Glabbeek
tony
Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 08:01:25 AM »
ReplyReply

Making money on the move is not easy especially if you are not planning to settle down for long period of time, as you would need to in order to teach english. The main hassle is the working visa.

Another option is working as a free lance journalist or photographer. The best money is by finding a magazine at home (or in any western country) but it is very difficult unless you have a degree in journalism and/or photography, or some experience with some work to show, or a good connection in a magazine - and even though it is not easy. The alternative for that is writting for a local magazine in the country you're in, they sometimes are eager to find native english speakers to write artcicles for them. Go to some local book shops, and look in the magazine section, find magazine and papers that inspire you and write down the editorial contact, give them a call, or - even better - stop by. I would recommend having some work to show them. Also try airline magazines for local airlines, they pay decent money ($50 to $250 per article depending on the number of words, if you provide pictures with it or not, and of course the airline). The advantage of that if once you found a magazine and they like your work, you can work for them. This is how Heinz Stuck earned a large part of his money while he was traveling (not sure if he still does it).

Australia, NZ and some western country are good places to pick fruits. It's easier (easier not easy) to get a working visa for Oz and NZ, but very difficult in western European countries and the US.

You can make some serious money in the fishing job indutry in Alaska. I met someone who used to go there every summer (I think it's high season for salmon) and made $1200 a week! Try to google it if you're interested.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Stephane
Administrator
Explorer

cyclocamping cyclocamping
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 08:17:43 AM »
ReplyReply

Finding a sponsor to get money is close to impossible. You might be able to get equipment but money is a different story. Unless you're doing something very exceptional (go to the South pole or to the moon on a bike or something like that).

Here is an easier option to make money while traveling (or while at home). You can do like Cindy and Travis from downtheroad.org do, or Friedel from travelingtwo.com, or Darren Alff from bicycletouringpro, or like almost 200 other websites do: be one of our affiliate! Unless you have a highly visited website, you won't be able to make a living out of it, but you can certainly make some decent money.

First you need to have a website, then join our affiliate program (it's 100% free), and then direct customers to our website. Once they purchase something on our website after clicking a link or a banner on your website, you'll earn a 8% commission on any purchase they make, even if they decide to buy 4 month later (120-day cookie duration).

To find out more about our affilate program or to sign-up, click here: CycloCamping.com Affiliate Program

Happy tailwind!

petervanglabbeek
Explorer

Cycle touring is a lifestyle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 06:22:46 AM »
ReplyReply

Very interesting program, Stephane.

My I add to the info above, that it is usually fairly easy to work without a working visa.
For example, I was teaching maths in Chile, earning about 15 Euro per hour, without working permit.
(But this is not legal, of course)

Peter

Peter van Glabbeek
newislander
Scout

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 03:59:10 AM »
ReplyReply

Get a transportable skill such as hair cutting. This is popular as a way of making money amongst the backbacking crowd and seems to work.

massage would be another one.

tarot card readings - but don't ask me to pay for that one.

do some chores for some rich backpackers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: