cyclocampingforum.com
October 24, 2017, 04:08:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mudguard?  (Read 1733 times)
Belou
Traveler

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2010, 04:05:28 PM »
ReplyReply

I was wondering what you guys think. First, is mudguard really necessary on a long tour through various climate and various road conditions? Also, a lot of people say that their plastic mudguard ended up breaking. Is it better to take aluminum mudguard. Any brands to recommend? Thank you.
biciclown
Traveler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 07:58:50 PM »
ReplyReply

It depends where you are plannig to go. In Africa i start using it, but I took it out. In Asia I am not using. When is really mud the wheel doesn´t goes as it gets stuck. But in asphalt in Europe will be good for winter.
Plastics are better but more noisy and less efficient.
Metals are the best

Thailand    (56 countries)71,934 kms and 5 years No stop
www.biciclown.com/ing/index.html
www.biciclowneldocumental.com
petervanglabbeek
Explorer

Cycle touring is a lifestyle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 03:55:32 AM »
ReplyReply

mudguards are very useful in wet climates when you ride a lot on asfalt roads.
In wet climates with lots of dirt roads it fills up with mud and gets stuck, like biciclown says.
The same happens in snow or with lots of leaves.
In dry climates (a big part of the touring world) you don't need them.
So my conclusion is: don't take them. If you take them, make sure there is some distance between the tyres and the guards.
Peter

Peter van Glabbeek
Stephane
Administrator
Explorer

cyclocamping cyclocamping
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 03:43:50 PM »
ReplyReply

I always used mudguard, so I don't really know what it is biking without them. Don't your feet get soaked when biking in the rain without mudguard? Or your panniers covered with mud on dirty wet roads? I agree when it is really muddy mudguards are counterproductive!  I would recommend aluminum over plastic as people do complain about plastic ones breaking. Mudguards are necessary when there is more than one person traveling, otherwise the one biking behind get covered with anything on the road.

Ablejack
Wanderer

Buffalo Lazy Randonneur Club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 09:03:24 AM »
ReplyReply

here are some brands I can recommend:

Honjo, for japanese hammered and polished aluminum. simply beautiful.
Berthoud, for classic french stainless steel. indestructible.
Velo Orange, for any style metal but less expensive. bargain.
hartleymartin
Wanderer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 08:26:15 PM »
ReplyReply

I have a stainless steel set that was originally off an Apollo lady's 3-speed. You never know when you're going to get caught in a downpour. Even though Australia is a fairly dry climate, when it does rain, it comes bucketing down. Sydney has twice the annual rainfall of London, but has a lot less "rain days".

The mudguard is one of those things that you don't "need" all of the time, but when you do need them, you'll be glad that you had them fitted. Also, I agree with ensuring that there is plenty of clearance between the mudguards and tyres, as mud, sticks, dirt, etc can clog them up and if there is insufficient clearance, you can break stays, guards, or just make your trip very hard going.
Neven Andrews
Couch Potato

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 04:52:36 AM »
ReplyReply

Agreed. Mudguard is the thing that you don't need most of the time. Mine are so sleek and you barley notice them. Also mud flaps are a "need" in group winter riding.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:32:37 PM by Neven Andrews » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: