cyclocampingforum.com
September 23, 2017, 03:55:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to take care of your chain while traveling?  (Read 2383 times)
fenlabiz
Traveler

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2010, 07:34:38 PM »
ReplyReply

I was wondering how you guys take care of your chain while you are traveling. I like to have a clean chain and when I clean it, it usually takes quite a bit of time. So I wa hoping getting some good tips from you guys, like what do you use, how - teflon spray? silicon? oil? soap? gasoline? brush? I heard a lot of things so I would like to know what you guys have to say...
petervanglabbeek
Explorer

Cycle touring is a lifestyle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 01:30:00 AM »
ReplyReply

Hello,
I always have an old cloth with me, that I tie under my seat. I wipe my chain, chain rings and derailleur wheels with the dry cloth about every 3rd day, and after every rainy day. Then I put a few drops of oil. This takes about 5 minutes and the chain is always quite clean. The oil I use: Finish Line, cross country, wet lubricant. (black bottle with green cap) I don't like the dry version of it with the red cap, not even in dry conditions. It is important not to use too much, a bottle lasts me a year or more.
Peter

Peter van Glabbeek
onrbikes
Traveler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 03:59:16 AM »
ReplyReply

In asia its really good, cause many hotels provide you with toothbrushes which we collected and used to clean the chain.
Get one of the millions of empty water bottle, cut it in half (or more) and fill it up with water or petrol.
 Lean the bike up somewhere and place the full bottle around the bottom gear of the derailleur. Spin the chain backwards while holding the free toothbrush on the chain in the fluid. Bingo!!
 Another good reason to keep the old style derailleurs as opposed to a Rolhof.

Fred
biciclown
Traveler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 09:25:18 PM »
ReplyReply

If you have Rohloff you will see how easy is it to clean. Now my chain is more clean than never because is easy to do it. How? I just take an old small piece of cloth. I put into the links. One by one. It takes time but petrol damage the chain. Have a look ot my pictures in my website and you will see how clean can be a chain in Tibet

Thailand    (56 countries)71,934 kms and 5 years No stop
www.biciclown.com/ing/index.html
www.biciclowneldocumental.com
biciclown
Traveler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 09:32:53 PM »
ReplyReply

totally agree. It works

Thailand    (56 countries)71,934 kms and 5 years No stop
www.biciclown.com/ing/index.html
www.biciclowneldocumental.com
Ronield3Nap
Couch Potato

Ronield3Nap Ronield3Nap Ronield3Nap
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 03:55:36 AM »
ReplyReply

Nice idea, but I just carry my own brush to clean up the chain on regular basis as this brush doesn't take much space!!! Wink

Clarence
Tourist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 05:33:01 AM »
ReplyReply

Well...

Its a nice way you have shared to take care of chain....
Because your travel goes best when you have a comfortable travel..

alessandrojohn
Couch Potato

alessandrojohn alessandrojohn alessandrojohn
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 11:15:43 PM »
ReplyReply

Great thoughts shared for taking care of the chain while traveling..Just go through this link you will find few more such great ideas..

voices.yahoo.com/how-take-care-bicycles-chain-635943.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: