cyclocampingforum.com
December 18, 2017, 03:35:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire Clearance  (Read 870 times)
sage
Scout

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2010, 03:47:42 PM »
ReplyReply

New to the forum and bicycling and I have a question

If you were thinking of getting a custom bicycle that supports 650B tires sizes.  The bicycle was going to be used as a commuter and for bicycle camping/touring/ dirt trail riding, what is the maximum bicycle tires size do you want for the bicycle?  I saw that at Rivendell, they have tire sizes up to 45mm to 52mm.  What do you guys think?  It is not a Rivendell bicycle  that I am looking at by the way.

K.
hartleymartin
Wanderer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 05:36:51 AM »
ReplyReply

You can put skinny tyres in a bike made for big ones, but you can't put fatties in a bike made for skinny tyres.

I think that you will find a width of somewhere about 35-40mm to be sufficient for most purposes. Fatter tyres are really only needed for heavier loadings or soft surfaces. If you get the bicycle built with 52mm tyres in mind, you have the option of fitting thinner tyres later. Trail riding would almost certainly require the fatties, whilst touring on sealed roads you could use slimmer tyres of about 32 to 35mm wide.
baster
Couch Potato

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 01:03:00 AM »
ReplyReply

You can put skinny tyres in a bike made for big ones, but you can't put fatties in a bike made for skinny tyres.

I think that you will find a width of somewhere about 35-40mm to be sufficient for most purposes. Fatter tyres are really only needed for heavier loadings or soft surfaces. If you get the bicycle built with 52mm tyres in mind, you have the option of fitting thinner tyres later. Trail riding would almost certainly require the fatties, whilst touring on sealed roads you could use slimmer tyres of about 32 to 35mm wide.

Thanks for the advice!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:31:42 AM by baster » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: